The programme was developed through a consultative process involving Y Clubs (at schools) and R Clubs (post school). The process reflected youth commitment to transform youth masculinity and comprised:
- Baseline survey in 2009, involving 1200 youth
- Participatory action research in 2010, involving 400 youth and a further 5 focus groups of youth and community members
- Qualitative research in 2011, involving 100 youth
- Continual desktop research
- Programme development workshop in August 2011, involving 30 youth
Gender Change Catalysts – Selected from R Clubs (for school-going youth) and Y Clubs (for out-of-school youth), the catalysts:
- engage in peer mentoring in the Y and R Clubs
- coordinate the database and networking initiative
- manage and facilitate the community forums
- coordinate the celebrate life events
Partnership database directory – for networking with corporates, NGOs, CBOs, FBOs, community/traditional leaders, policy makers and implementers, and civil service providers such as police and health services.
Information library – archives made available to partnership and community on masculinity and gender.
Community Forums – for dialogue between male and female community members and leaders on gendered issues.
Celebrate Life Programme (CeLi)– Aimed at a younger age group, CeLi is a community youth celebratory event which provides space for male and female youth to socialise and express themselves in youthful ways.
Men and Women Communicating for Justice Project (MWCJ) – selected through participating R and Y Clubs, this project profiles ongoing gender discussions within the communities.